Nation’s nuclear regulators have ‘grave concerns’ about Obama’s NRC chair
In a letter to White House Chief of Staff William Daley, Nuclear Regulatory Commissioners Kristine L. Svinicki, George Apostolakis, William D. Magwood, IV, and William C. Ostendorff are expressing “grave concerns” about Obama’s NRC Chairman Gregory Jaczko.
“We believe that his actions and behavior are causing serious damage to this institution and are creating a chilled work environment at the NRC,” states the letter. Svinicki and Ostendorff are Republicans. Apostolakis and Magwood are Democrats.
“We are concerned that this will adversely affect the NRC’s essential mission to protect the health, safety and security of the American people.”
The White House did not respond.
Prior to serving on the NRC, Jaczko was a key adviser to Rep. Ed Markey (D-Mass.,) a sponsor of Cap and Tax, a radical environmentalist and a key Capitol Hill pusher of the Gang Green agenda. Rather than side with the Commission’s Democrats and a damaging report by the NRC’s Inspector General, Markey has attacked regulators and defended his Gang Green crony, potentially endangering the public.
Commissioners state Jaczko:
* “intimidated and bullied senior career staff to the degree that he has created a high level of fear and anxiety resulting in a chilled work environment;
* “ordered staff to withhold or modify policy information and recommendations intended for transmission to the commission;
* “attempted to intimidate the Advisory Committee on Reactor Safeguards … to prevent it from reviewing certain aspects of NRC’s analysis of the Fukushima accident;
* “ignored the will of the majority of the commission, contrary to the statutory functions of the commission; and
* “interacted with us, his fellow commissioners, with such intemperance and disrespect that the commission no longer functions as effectively as it should.”
The letter, released Friday, is available here along with a letter by House Oversight and Government Reform Committee Chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who has scheduled a Dec. 14 hearing on NRC leadership.
“NRC Inspector General Hubert Bell released a report in June that alleged Jaczko “controls information” provided to the other NRC commissioners by designating issues as administrative matters, which he has control over, rather than policy matters. ,” The Hill reports.
Join ATP, Stop Gang Green!
American Tradition Partnership (ATP) is a no-compromise grassroots organization dedicated to fighting the radical environmentalist agenda. We support responsible development of natural resources and rational land use and management policies. Only together can we protect access, private property rights, and affordable energy for all Americans!